Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Race Card

Before I begin, I am going to admit that this fires me up (which is why I am actually blogging two days in a row--whoa!). This a.m., I returned from a run, and while plugging in my iPod to download my run stats, I saw this post at the top of Facebook: "Alec Baldwin tweeted, "If Obama was white, he'd be up by 17 points."" The tweet itself disturbed me, but the fact that a friend of mine, whom I really like and respect, had "liked" it, really upset me.

Bren & Me
Now, I am not discreet about being a Romney-Ryan supporter or a Conservative Christian--both of these I proudly am. When Jason met me in 1998, I had been in D.C. four years and ate, slept and breathed politics; he likes to say that he came along and "saved" me from all that. Those who know me, particularly those Democrats and liberals who know me, know that I am not disrespectful of others' politics, beliefs or values. I know mine come from a very personal place, and despite being political and vocal myself, I respect and even enjoy hearing about others' politics. I have a degree in Political Science--politics intrigue me. That is all to say, what angered me is NOT about politics.

Alec Baldwin's comment is racist. Period. This past year, our family grew and subsequently, our perspective greatly changed. We now have two white children and one black child. As a new transracial family, I feel highly aware of race relations and perspectives based upon race. I am learning to better understand what being black in America means because we are raising a son of another race. That comes with different responsibilities--we have unique responsibilites to him. We want nothing but the absolute best for Bren--I would "mama bear" him as quickly as I would Aidan and Cole Patrick. I am highly aware of how I am seen by both blacks and whites. I am aware that on the rare occasion that our family receives a disapproving look, it is more often from blacks than whites. A fact that always saddens me.

When we were waiting to be matched, we read more books on raising a black child than we did about adoption. We are aware that some black groups vehemently fought against the right for whites to even adopt black children at all. We are aware and definitely frustrated that it is certainly more difficult to find books with black characters and other positive black representation in toys and media. Sometimes, I am painfully and embarassingly aware of how "white" society can be.

That all being said, playing the race card as Alec Baldwin did is NOT positive. In fact, it is ignorant and highly irresponsible, not to mention amazingly offensive. This "tweet" basically accuses people of being so ignorant that they are basing their decision for President of the United States on color--not on thoughtfully considering the economy, taxes, education, foreign policy, values...just to mention a few "minor" factors that heavily weigh into deciding your vote. Assuming because of the color of our skin that we can't raise Brendan with proper understanding and respect for his racial heritage is also ignorant and racist. In fact, this is not rocket science, whether black or white or purple, basing any judgement on the color of another's skin, is racist.

I am aware that there are race issues. America is not the perfect balance of harmony that I wish we were, but blatantly encouraging division is completely negative and irresponsible. Let's face it, just like this Mom always says, two wrongs never make a right.

No comments:

Post a Comment